Do you see a shortcut virus created in your removable media? But perhaps, worry about how to remove it from your computer or your removable media? Worry not! GeekDashboard is here with an awesome guide on removing shortcut viruses. Let’s first get to know what are shortcut virus is.
What are Shortcut Virus?
Shortcut virus are so-called self-replicating or duplicating virus that might corrupt your removable media or your folder or your disk. What’s, even more, worse is that they keep replicating on devices connected to your current computer.
Your transferring files between your PC and your Android device and possibly your PC contains a shortcut virus. It is possible that your Android Device may also get infected with the shortcut virus. Now let’s proceed on to the ways of removing shortcut viruses from your computer through the following proven tweaks and tricks.
Types of Shortcut Viruses:
- Drive Shortcut Virus: This type of virus affects all the external and internal storage device such as pen drives, hard disks, etc.
- Folder Shortcut Virus: This type of virus affects all the folders on your PC
- File Shortcut Virus: This type of virus affects the file types such as documents, music, videos, images etc. and corrupts them by making many shortcuts of them.
Working Ways to Remove Shortcut Virus from Computer and Laptop Easily
Never keep your all eggs in a single basket. In a similay way, never keep trying one solution to fix the issue. Here are different possible ways to completely remove shortcut virus from your laptop or computer. Try them and let us know which method helped you to remove the virus.
Method #1: Using USBFix Application
USBFix is a software that can deal with all kind of shortcut virus(s) present on your system and remove them. It is a software used to clean virus present in USB’s external HDD’s, smartphones, digital cameras, etc.
Just download the software from above link and get it running on your device. It’s a small sized software i.e., 4 MB that can help you remove waste from your computer with ease.
- With over 5 million downloads, it’s a trusted software for use
- It includes tons of features such as Vaccinate, Repair, Backup
- Very easy to use, just download and install
How To Use It:
- Download and Install it
- Connect USB DRIVE/HDD Disk
- Run UsbFix software
- Click on delete. It will prompt you to restart your PC.
Method #2: Using VBA Script
Shortcut viruses are indeed very dangerous when they start infecting the whole computer. If not properly taken care, it can even effect main disk drives of your computer such as the ‘C’ drive and may corrupt your system files which is very dangerous. If the above method doesn’t work for you, you can use this method which involves executing a simple VBA script.
A VBA script is a Visual Basic Script coded to automate certain events, which in our case is to remove this virus. By executing this script, you can simply remove the shortcut that is replicating itself as shortcut virus on your PC.
A dialog box will arise and ask you to click OK. Simply do the needful and you’re done!
Method #3: Using .BAT Script
Just like the VBA script, .bat is an executable script that is prerecorded to operate a certain task, in our case it’s removing shortcut viruses.
How to Use .bat Script
- Open a pain text file
- Paste the below code and save as .bat file
@echo off attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d G:*.* @echo complete
** Replace G: with your infected drive/disk.
Method #4: Removing Shortcut Virus Through Registry
Shortcut Virus are very contagious and can spread to any directory of the computer like wildfire. So now we approach to the Registry Method to easily remove these shortcut viruses from your PC.
How to Use Registry Method
- Using Ctrl + Shift + Esc open task manager.
- Go to exe through the Processes tab and click on ‘End Process.’
- Using WINDOW + R command open regedit. This will render the Registry Screen open
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Run. Try to find a key named odwcamszas and delete it
Method #5: Using Fix Folder and Trojorm Removal Tool
Fix Folder and Trojorm Removal Tool is a piece of code written by Archie Mercader to quickly heal shortcut viruses. It automatically runs and fixes all the shortcut virus present on an external device.
It is a type of singe loop Visual Basic Program that replaces all the shortcut files with the original current files removing the virus altogether.
How to Use This Tool
- Copy the Trojorm Removal Tool inside the malware-filled drive and execute it
- Copy the Fixfolder Script to the shortcut virus filled drive, right click on it and replace H with the infected drive letter. Save and run.
Bam…. Short Virus Removed
I hope that after following these steps, you might have resolved your shortcut virus problems. Let me know your opinion in the comments below.