Downloading anything with uTorrent is best and safe method. Many people including me always think why download speed for torrent files is low. Usually i get 50% less download speed for torrent downloads when compared to normal download speed. uTorrent is the best third party software available to download torrent files. When ever i’m downloading torrent files I face a dilemma to stop or continue it. I face this problem only because of download speed. So, I tried many tricks, made experiments on uTorrent settings and finally managed to increase torrent speed by 120%
Why Downloading with uTorrent ?
- Downloading large files with uTorrent is safe due to resume capacity.
- It automatically starts stopped download’s after restarting your computer without any single click.
- It allows you to look contents inside downloading file before starting download. This helps us mainly while downloading movies.
5 ways to increase Torrent speed:
1. Frequently update P2P sharing client
Best P2P sharing client is uTorrent. Update uTorrent.exe when ever there is an update. Using old versions surely lowers download speed. Recommended to tick Automatically Update option in uTorrent settings
2. Download Torrents with high Seeds and Peers
Seed is the place where complete torrent file is saved and serving across the web. Leecher is a person who doesn’t have that file and joined seeds server to download it. In short Leecher becomes Seeder when he download’s entire torrent file using P2P sharing client. Peer is a Laptop or computer participating in Download action. To increase torrent speed always download torrents with high seeds and less Leecher. It is Less computers are downloading that torrent, while it is serving by more people.
3. Changing uTorrent Settings
Default settings in P2P sharing clients like uTorrent would suck slow connection networks. Modifying them would work like a magic and increase torrent speed.
Here are some modifications you need to make in uTorrent > Options > Preferences
Connection – Tick Add Windows Firmware exception
Bandwidth – Change Maximum upload rate to 500
Advanced – Set the value of net.max_halfopen to 80
BitTorrent – Enable Outgoing in Protocol Encryption
4. Optimal Settings
SG TCP Optimizer is a free utility software which is used to apply Optimal settings. It will change your networks settings and helps to increase torrent speed
5. Use Your Basic Knowledge
First test your internet connection form speedtest.net and note down your download and upload speed. If it is higher than download speed in uTorrent, you can apply these changes. Download single file and don’t expect same speed when downloading multiple torrents same time.
Bonus Tips (Very Simple to Implement)
- Right click uTorrent in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and select Go to Details. Check Priority to High
- Try connecting your laptop or PC directly to modem using LAN cable. Don’t use Wi-Fi and also turn off Wi-Fi in modem.
- Disable auto-updates in your PC settings.
- Turn off Antivirus temporarily. (Best Antivirus for Windows 8 and 10)
- Update your uTorrent Software to latest version.
- Choose a better ISP with upgrade your plan to higher speed.
Over to You
Let us know which trick worked best for you to increase torrent speed? Comment below if you know any more tips and tricks to improve uTorrent download speed.